Attorney James A. Spella earned a B.A. in Accounting from Marquette University followed by a J.D. Degree from Marquette University Law School. He spent the early part of his career working as a tax attorney at Arthur Andersen & Company.
Jim is one of two partners at Schloemer Law Firm. Jim frequently advises clients on matters related to estate planning, business succession planning, business organization and contracts, residential and commercial real estate, and the tax implications that frequently arise in these areas.
Jim has dedicated much of his time to many local civic and charitable organizations. Notably, Jim served 10 years on the West Bend Community Foundation Board (including three years as its president), nine years on the Threshold Foundation Board, and three years on the Westbury Bank’s Foundation Board. In 2017, Jim was recognized as the Greater Milwaukee Foundation’s 2017 Professional Adviser of the Year for his decades of thoughtful service to clients in West Bend and beyond.
Jim enjoys spending time with his wife, Karen, six daughters, and 15 grandchildren, playing golf, reading, and supporting Marquette University Athletics.
I see myself as “transactional” and as a “problem solver,” instead of adversarial. One of the biggest values I can provide my clients is addressing possible events and situations before they happen, so there is a methodology in place for solutions and resolutions. I believe in providing practical advice for the stated objectives and “exit strategies” which are mutually beneficial.
Areas of Practice
- Marquette University, B.A. in Accounting
- Marquette University Law School, J.D.
Professional and Community Involvement
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association
- Washington County Bar Association, Past President
- West Bend Country Club, Director
- Greater Milwaukee Foundation, 2017 Professional Adviser of the Year, Herbert J. Mueller Society
- West Bend Economic Development Corporation, Director & Secretary
- Washington County Ethics Board
- Westbury Bank, Past Director
- West Bend Noon Rotary Club, Past President and Member
- West Bend Area Chamber of Commerce, Past President and Director
- St. Frances Cabrini School, Past President and School Board Member
- West Bend Community Foundation, Past President
- Threshold Foundation, Inc., Past President and Director
- Partners in Philanthropy, Honor Roll Member